Current Job Openings at the Abbe Museum
Education and Sales Associates
The Abbe Museum offers unique career opportunities that empower individuals to connect with our mission and our audience in a profound way.
As Associates, you’ll be making a significant contribution to Maine’s first and only Smithsonian Affiliate, a Museum beloved by visitors from around the world. The Smithsonian is the guardian of some of our nation’s most valuable scientific, historic, and artistic treasures and is a leader in research, innovation, and discovery. The Abbe Museum fits snugly within this realm, offering our visitors unique and inspiring experiences every single day. Associates help the Museum to encourage a more empathetic and culturally-aware society by inspiring visitors to think more deeply about the history and contemporary lives of individuals from other cultures.
The Abbe Museum experience is inclusive and welcoming to all. We foster a service-focused environment and a strong staff culture of collaboration and teamwork. Staff in public-facing departments must always present a welcoming and inclusive museum visitor experience. Do you enjoy interacting with people? Do you believe that customer service is an important part of a positive experience? We hope you'll consider joining the Abbe’s Guest Services team. Ideal candidates have a heart for service, are driven, self-sufficient, and committed to promoting the Abbe's new Customer Service Pledge and to finding surprising and welcoming ways to interact with all patrons.
While there is considerable overlap of duties between Education and Sales Associates on any given day, and cross-training is essential, the following list describes the most likely daily tasks for each position type.
- Deliver/support public programming, such as lectures, panels, workshops, demonstrations, films, etc.
- Lead museum tours through the galleries.
- Deliver educational programming to students of all ages, both at the museum and off-site.
- Provide program feedback to be used for formal evaluations and assessment.
- Assist in staffing some evening and weekend public programs.
- Assist in the processing and operations of facilitating tours, selling and distributing group tickets, and supporting group sales coordinators as requested.
- Assist in crowd management, including access control, queue setup/take down, and proactively suggest areas for improvement in efficiency.
- Identify and facilitate educational opportunities through the retail operations of the museum shop, and support Sales Associates through these opportunities.
- Work independently at times, with minimal supervisor contact. Empowered to handle certain visitor escalations, with management support as needed.
- Work well with volunteers and other staff members, support their needs and work towards a pleasant working team environment.
Click here for more details about the Education Associate position. To apply, please fill out an application (in PDF or Excel) and mail your completed application form and resume to Guest Services-Education Associate, Abbe Museum, PO Box 286, Bar Harbor, ME 04609; or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- Open and close the Museum buildings; including shop admission desks and exhibit, gallery, and outdoor areas as required.
- Greet visitors as they come through the main entrance, answer questions, act as a first point of contact for patron feedback and provide information related to a museum visit.
- Be aware of the daily schedule for programs, events, meetings and direct guests, trustees, and volunteers accordingly.
- Provide excellent patron support across all communication channels (email, phone, in-person). Follow the Abbe’s Phone Policy and direct calls accordingly.
- Maintain daily records in an organized fashion, including sales stats, membership and other fundraising sales, open and close checklists, and gallery checks. Good penmanship is ideal.
- Assist in visitor data collection through provided tools. Create and send regular visitor attendance reports.
- Responsible for the accurate handling of cash and monies in various forms. Sell admissions and act as a POS super-user with a deep understanding of process, policies, and procedures for proper data entry and customer interactions.
- Sell and distribute general Museum, exhibition, and event-related tickets to all patrons.
- Collect event RSVP as requested. Sell and distribute other merchandise and products sold through the Museum shop.
- Actively promote and sell Museum memberships. Regularly review information regarding membership levels and benefits, programs, activities, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with shop and Museum operations, including inventory, creating displays, processing of stock, event support, and Museum mailings.
- Sustain clean, stocked, and organized workstations and public spaces, and maintain overall Museum and shop appearances.
- Act as the first point of contact for in-house lost & found patron needs.
Click here for more details about the Sales Associate position. To apply, please fill out an application (in PDF or Excel) and mail your completed application form and resume to Guest Services-Education Associate, Abbe Museum, PO Box 286, Bar Harbor, ME 04609; or email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.